Over the weekend I went sailing for the first time. It was me, Joe and Joe’s mother. I had never been sailing before, so I was really looking forward to this. Turns out, I HATE sailing. Sailing involves a number of the things I loath: being cold, being wet, and having wind blow on you.
I tried to keep my whining to a minimum, so that Joe’s mother did not think I was a bitchy, whiny cow; but it was really hard. I was freezing the entire time. I was worried about being cold so I brought along a whole lot of layers, but they did not help. The wind just blew right through them all. The boat we went on is considered a U.S. National Park (don’t ask me how a boat can be a park), and it has no inside section where you can get away from the wind and NO bathroom. What kind of dumb boat tour expects people to be cool with being on a boat for 4 hours with no way to get out the wind and no way to pee/vomit in private.
I just looked it up. The boat we went on was the Alma, and tours cost $40. It might be fun if you are into sailing, but a better (and cheaper) trip is just to get on the ferry that goes around the bay. There are several ferries but the one I really like I believe is called the Golden Gate Ferry. You get to see the same views, you have the option to get off and walk around cute little bay towns, AND there is a nice bar with great bloody marys. Yum.
Sailing was Saturday. On Sunday Joe and I did more work on the vineyard. We rented an auger and started drilling the holes for the posts. We bought 8 foot wooden posts. We needed to dig 2 foot holes, so that 6 feet would be above ground and 2 feet below. We rented a single person auger, hoping that would make digging the holes easy. We had seen YouTube videos where people easily dug 2 foot holes using the single person auger. I don’t know if we were doing something wrong, my ground is too hard, or if our auger just sucked, but it did not work well.
The auger would dig through the first several inches of loose top soil easily, but then it would spin around worthlessly. It seemed like the ramp section was set too high, and it would not catch the soil, so the drill portion would just spin around on it’s tip on top of the soil and not actually lift any soil up/dig down. We reviewed some of the YouTube videos, and on the videos the little ramp portion appeared longer and lower, so I really believe our auger just sucked.
Joe and I were determined to get something accomplished, so we struggled with our crap auger and, after a full day of working, got the outside post holes dug. It was so satisfying when we finished the last hole and got to see all the posts standing in place. Near the end I was stupid and too tired to control the power tools and ended up hurting myself. I lost control of the auger and ended up whacking my left shin & knee several times. It is currently swollen and I expect to have an epic bruise in a few days.
We still have the inside posts to do. We hope to get those done next weekend, and we plan to rent the two person auger. I have no idea if the two person one will work better, but it can not be any worse.